Before the events of the season, Shelby worked as a yoga instructor in Los Angeles. It was on the job that she met her future husband, Matt.
Personality and Appearance
Shelby has light blue eyes and blonde hair. She is Caucasian and dresses very casually. Shelby is a very relaxed individual and appears to have many hobbies; ranging from yoga to cooking (which she recently took up upon moving to North Carolina and has claimed it relaxes her) and she also appears to have a taste for red wine.
Shelby met her husband, Matt, when he won a lottery for a yoga lesson at which Shelby was the instructor. Matt suffered a minor injury and never took another class but he did begin to date Shelby. Soon, they married and began living together in Los Angeles. Shelby got pregnant and Matt got a promotion. To celebrate, the pair went out - presumably for a meal - when they were attacked by a group of men who were partaking in a gang initiation. The attack severely injured Matt and he was taken into intensive care. Unresponsive, the doctors feared for his life, however, Shelby seemed positively certain that, if she could be with him, he would wake. She was correct, however, she soon began bleeding and it was stated that she had suffered from a miscarriage.
In order to escape the trauma, the pair went East, to North Carolina where Matt grew up. They spent a day in a forest where they stumbled upon a beautiful farm house. They soon decided to purchase the property at auction (the only other interested buyers being a group of hillbillies known only as the Polk family). When they lost the auction, the Polk men seemed agitated though they shortly left. Shelby and Matt, extremely happy with their purchase, entered their new home. Shelby stated that, from the first moment, though she loved the place, she felt danger there.
Soon after purchasing their new home, Shelby and Matt began to experience various strange events. The first of which occurred on their first night in the house. During intercourse, they heard strange noises and Matt went to investigate. Thinking it was a raccoon or a bear, Matt was shocked when he found trash spread throughout the garden and, even more so, frightened when something threw his trashcan over his head.
- In the fictional documentary "My Roanoke Nightmare" (i.e. most of Roanoke), Shelby is dramatically re-enacted in-universe by actress Audrey Tindall, who is in turn played by real-life Sarah Paulson. During scenes where she is describing her experiences, the "true" victim is portrayed by Lily Rabe.
- Shelby is the only victim of Roanoke who committed suicide.
- And was the second character of Lily who committed suicide, besides Nora Montgomery.
- Shelby, Matt, Mason, Sidney and Audrey are the only characters involved with the Roanoke incident that weren't killed by the forces brought from the paranormal entities of Roanoke.
- Shelby is a fifth character portrayed by Lily Rabe, the others being Nora Montgomery, Sister Mary Eunice, Misty Day and Aileen Wuornos.
- Currently, none of Lily's characters are still alive.
- Shelby Miller: "Humans respond to fear in two simple ways: fight or flight."
- Shelby Miller: "To this day I still have that dream. I've tried yoga, meditation, hypnotherapy even. We escaped with our lives that night, but I never completely got over it. I'm not sure I ever will."