"My Roanoke Nightmare" is a made-for-television documentary or documentary series inside the universe of American Horror Story (a show in a show). The framing premise of the story "American Horror Story: Roanoke" is that the events we see are being retold in-universe.
Some disclaimers such as "Based on actual events" blur this line.
Due to the success of the show, a sequel series was created titled "Return to Roanoke: Three Days in Hell."
|“||My Roanoke Nightmare was the television success story of 2015. With minimal promotion, the show garnered 23 million viewers by its final, topping that week's airing of Sunday night football, Empire, and The Walking Dead. Eager to capitalize on the success, the network asked the producer to create a follow-up series.||”|
— disclaimer that celebrates the success of the series
"My Roanoke Nightmare" is a documentary film created and produced by Sidney Aaron James in collaboration with Diana Cross. The documentary aims to tell the dreadful events happened at Roanoke House, a former Shaker house in North Carolina, with the horrors experienced by the Miller family as main topic. The show consists of interviews with Shelby, Matt and Lee Miller as witnesses, and a series of scripted reenactments with a cast of actors.
- Audrey Tindall (portrayed by Sarah Paulson) as Shelby Miller
- Dominic Banks (portrayed by Cuba Gooding, Jr.) as Matt Miller
- Monet Tumusiime (portrayed by Angela Bassett) as Lee Miller
- Agnes Mary Winstead (portrayed by Kathy Bates) as The Butcher
- Rory Monahan (portrayed by Evan Peters) as Edward Philippe Mott
- Dylan (portrayed by Wes Bentley) as Ambrose White
- William van Henderson (portrayed by Denis O'Hare) as Dr. Elias Cunningham
- Ashley Gilbert (portrayed by Leslie Jordan) as Cricket Marlowe
- Brian Wells (portrayed by Chaz Bono) as Lot Polk
- Unknown (portrayed by Lady Gaga) as Scathach
- Unknown (portrayed by Frances Conroy) as Mama Polk
- Unknown (portrayed by Saniyya Sidney) as Flora Harris
- Unknown (portrayed by Charles Malik Whitfield) as Mason Harris
- Unknown (portrayed by Estelle Hermansen) as Priscilla
- Unknown (portrayed by Kristen Rakes) as Bridget Jane
- Unknown (portrayed by Maya Berko) as Miranda Jane
- Unknown (portrayed by Grady Lee Richmond) as Ishmael Polk
- Unknown (portrayed by Orson Chaplin) as Cain Polk
By exploiting the wave of success, Sidney decides to produce a new documentary entitled "Return to Roanoke: Three Days in Hell", grouping both the witnesses and the actors who impersonated them in the previous product, using the infamous Roanoke House as a location during the full moon of October, known as Blood Moon. The result is more bloody than expected.
The survivors of the events give their take on the story, while different actors portray them on reenactments. The "real" cast goes as follows: