As of now, few details have emerged about Miriam's background and personal life. Her father was a military officer in the Vietnam War and she mentions that he proudly killed so many Viet Cong forces that he lost count. 
Personality and Appearance
Miriam Mead is a small woman with prominent dark eyebrows, closely cut jet-black hair and dark lips. She dresses very practically in a boxy, black military-style suit with black leather gloves - suggestive of her sadistic and bloody duties at Outpost 3.
Ms. Mead describes killing as being in her DNA. She is ruthless and sadistic, going as far as to manipulate her Geiger counter into displaying high amounts of radiation on Outpost dwellers in order to subject them to a brutal and painful "decontamination" which involves roughly scrubbing their bare naked bodies with Tampico warehouse brooms and killing them if the Geiger counter "still detected radiation" after the cleansing. She is not above killing or torture and appears to greatly enjoy both.
Despite her high rank and being second-in-command of Outpost 3, she is not a Purple (post-war high society) and it is implied through her casual purple dress ups with Ms. Venable that she secretly desires to be one.
Despite her enjoyment and pleasure in torturing the survivors in Outpost 3, Miriam holds high respect towards her superiors, The Cooperative, and firmly acknowledges and respects the chain of command. She tells Ms. Venable that the only hesitation she has with the new world order of Outpost 3 is the fact that it undermines the Cooperative's authority.
In a flashback, the woman who raised Michael is revealed to look exactly like Mead, and she was part of the Occult. She kept a shrine in her dining room and insisted on saying grace before each meal to his malevolence. She also practices rituals involving incantations and a goat's head. She had trouble procuring the latter because the local butcher refused to sell it to her, which she believes to be an infringement of her religious rights.
Later, she arrives at the dinner table with Wilhemina Venable who overhears Coco slandering the food, causing Venable to slap Coco her whilst Miriam nods in agreement. When Venable reads the message from The Cooperative that the world as they knew it is gone, Miriam comments that the system before was weak and that it did not take much to destroy it. When one of her fellow agents reports a spike in the background radiation in the room, Miriam seemingly discovers Mr. Gallant and Stu to be the sources. They are taken to the decontamination chamber and given a brutal cleaning, but Miriam still finds Stu to be contaminated and executes him.
Sometime after, Miriam visits Venable in her room and they pretend to be "purples". They conspire about dispensing sadistic punishments which Venable admits that she enjoys, and Miriam, a former military agent, admits they've been making up rules and punishments as they go along, such as setting the Geiger counter to maximum sensitivity to frame Stu. Miriam expresses concerns about defying The Cooperative, who she states have paid her bills for a long time.
Eighteen months later, the inhabitants of Outpost 3 are growing less hopeful of rescue and supplies are dwindling. When Gallant protests and insists they leave, Miriam tells him that nobody is allowed to leave. An alarm suddenly sounds to alert that an intruder is on the grounds. Miriam goes outside and meets Michael Langdon who has arrived in a horse-drawn carriage. He tells her to take care of the horses, which she leads away and shoots. She sees people dragging the horses' corpses away as she goes back to the compound. 
Emily prepares for bed, but hears a strange noise: her room is crawling with snakes. Her screams bring Timmy and Mead. Mead rejoices at the new protein, despite the risk of contamination. The dinner companions discuss what they've been eating lately, including possibly Stu. The servants lift the cloches over dinner to reveal the snakes, unexpectedly alive, which slither across the table.
The dinner guests assemble in the library, and Langdon enters to announce that the other American compounds in New York, West Virginia, and Texas have been overrun and destroyed. He explains the purpose of The Sanctuary, which holds certain security measures, and that he will be evaluating candidates for survival. Mead asks why they weren't given those measures, to which Langdon answers is "classified".
After observing Gallant having sex with the Rubber Man, a disturbed Evie visits Mead in her chambers and tells the overseer about her grandson's indiscretions. Mead reports to Venable and relays Evie's tale. They suspect Langdon as the suited figure, neither knowing Rubber Man's true nature nor that Langdon overhears their plotting. Venable interrogates a chained and nearly nude Gallant, while Mead whips him. The women walk away after Venable notices that Gallant is enjoying being whipped.
Timothy and Emily realize that since Venable's rules are made up and irrelevant, nothing can stop them from having sex. Later, Mead intrudes on Tim and Emily while they are sleeping on bed and drags them away. The young lovers confront Venable about her made-up rules, and she sends them to their punishment. Mead takes them to a chamber for execution where Tim shoots her in the torso in an escape attempt. She staggers away, revealing a torso full of white fluid and circuitry: Mead is an android. 
- To Michael Langdon: "Hail, Satan!"
- About the world pre-apocalypse: "It was always fragile. They made you think it was a rock. It was a water balloon. One prick of the needle and *pops lips* that's all it took."
- To Wilhelmina Venable: "Killing is in my DNA."
- Last words at the stake (Human Mead): "You think death is a punishment? I do not fear the fire, it cleanses me, as it will cleanse this world! I've seen the end, I bear witness to the darkness. Father! Take me in your arms... Your kingdom is nigh!"
- She is the sixth character portrayed by Kathy Bates. For a complete list of her characters, see Cast.
- She was initially introduced as "Ms. Meade", a woman who sports a dark pixie cut hairdo  After the first look trailer, FX Networks revealed her as "Ms. Miriam Mead." 
- Because of her father's history in Vietnam along with her knowledge of killing and respect for the chain of command, it is very likely that she served in the military prior to the apocalypse.
- She is the only character who has appeared in all episodes of Apocalypse.
- See also: Miriam Mead/Media
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Episode: The End
- ↑ Episode: The Morning After
- ↑ Aguilera, Leanne (2018-08-03). Jessica Lange Will Appear in 'American Horror Story:Apocalypse'. ET Online. Retrieved on 2018-08-03.
- ↑ American horror Story - Apocalypses official trailer released (Correct Name Spelling). FX Networks.com (2018-09-06). Retrieved on 2018-09-10.