Kathy Bates (born June 28, 1948) is an award-winning American actor of stage, film, and television who portrays Madame Delphine LaLaurie in the third season of American Horror Story, Ethel Darling in the fourth season, Iris in the fifth season, and the hostile tribe leader "The Butcher" in Roanoke, along with Agnes Mary Winstead, the in-universe actress who portrayed The Butcher in "My Roanoke Nightmare".
Kathy Bates is well-known for her versatility in films ranging from children's movies, ("Fred Claus"), to adult romance ("P.S. I Love You"). She is most notable for her Oscar-winning portrayal of Annie in Stephen King's Misery, marking the second victory for an actress in a horror film (after Ruth Gordon in 1968's Rosemary's Baby).
She received a Tony Award nomination for her 1983 performance in the Broadway play 'night, Mother. She won a Screen Actors Guild Award for her performance in Primary Colors (1998), for which she also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for About Schmidt (2002).
Her television work has resulted in twelve Emmy Award nominations, two of which were for her starring role on the television series Harry's Law. She won another Emmy Award in 2012 for her portrayal as the ghost of Charlie Harper on CBS comedy series Two and a Half Men, a role formerly portrayed by Charlie Sheen. In 2014, she won the Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie Emmy award for her role as Delphine LaLaurie in American Horror Story: Coven. Her role as Ethel Darling in American Horror Story: Freak Show has earned her a nomination for the same award, along with co-stars Angela Bassett and Sarah Paulson, in the upcoming 2015 ceremony.
- While preparing for the role of Ethel Darling, she perfected her Baltimore accent by singing the National Anthem in a Massachusetts accent every morning.
- She is credited with the honorary "with" in the opening sequences of seasons three to five.
- She has portrayed five characters on the series : Delphine LaLaurie, Ethel Darling ,Iris ,The Butcher (reenactment) and Agnes Mary Winstead.
- So far 2 of the characters she's played have been immortal: Delphine LaLaurie and Iris and one ghost : The Butcher
- In season 6 she portrayed a character named The Butcher who was the leader of the Roanoke community.