Edward Philippe Mott was originally married and had an heir, but he left them and moved to North Carolina. There, he became the original owner of the big mansion in Roanoke, having constructed it with the help of some Shakers. He had the estate built so he could store various pieces of art he had bought in the auction. Edward loved his art more than anything, even Guinness, his slave and lover.
Mott had only lived there for a couple of days before he awoke to find all his art destroyed by The Butcher's cleaver. He blamed his slaves on the incident and stripped them down and locked them in the root cellar. While he was sleeping that night, he was terrorised and captured by the Lost Colony. They took him outside and the colony impaled him through the chest, then threw his body in the fire burning him alive. His lover Guinness fled, and told the police about the sacrifice, but since they couldn't find any evidence of the murder, they, in turn, arrested Guinness for murdering Edward and hiding the body.
Personality and Appearance
Edward Philippe Mott is a wealthy heir suffering from what today is known as severe social anxiety. Arrogant and devoid of mannerisms, Mott shares, not only the virtues but, above all, the faults of the aristocratic class. Homosexual, he is not afraid to kiss his lover before the servants.
His appearance is quirky and opulent, wearing a garish white wig and powdering his face in accordance with the primarily aristocratic fashion of the time.
With the desire to be left alone, Edward helps Matt, Shelby and Flora escape from The Butcher and her Lost Colony, leading them through secret underground tunnels from the basement of the house that lead into the heart of the woods. Since he can not leave the boundaries of the territory, Edward disappears into thin air leaving the Millers and Flora to themselves in the woods at night. He later frees the Millers from their bounds, encouraging them to make their grand escape.
- Edward Philippe Mott is the second character portrayed by Evan Peters to be involved in the construction of the main location of the season, in this case Roanoke House. The first was James March, who built Hotel Cortez in the fifth season, Hotel.
- Edward Philippe Mott constitutes a direct connection with the fourth season, Freak Show since he is an ancestor of Gloria and Dandy Mott.
- Edward is the sixth character in American Horror Story to be portrayed by Evan Peters, the others being Tate Langdon, Kit Walker, Kyle Spencer, Jimmy Darling and James March in Murder House, Asylum, Coven, Freak Show and Hotel respectively.
- Edward Mott is the third ghost portrayed by Evan Peters. The others were respectively Tate Langdon in the first season and James March in the fifth.
- Edward Mott (to Guinness): "The art never judges. I envy it. Life in two dimensions. Frozen in forever beauty. To watch the world go by unencumbered by the gossip and the pain of three-dimensional men. I love them, you know? The paintings. Even more, than I love you."
- Edward Mott: "All that I was is no more. Everything precious turned to dust. I have but one last sliver of grace. My solitude, such as it is."
- Edward Mott: "There are no roads where I go."
- Edward Mott (to Shelby Miller): "The living cling to life above all, but the trophy misprized is to die in peace."