She was proclaimed heiress to the Supremacy in the year 1940 when she was 29 years old, during the reign of Mimi DeLongpre as Supreme. In 1971, after revealing to Fiona how she realized that her growing powers were a sign of her rightful inheritance to the Supremacy, both had an argument. As Anna Leigh told her protegé that she was not yet ready to claim the Supremacy, Fiona mocked her deteriorating health. Anna Leigh, seeing Fiona's lust for power, swore that she would never let her take the throne. Fiona responded by slitting her throat.
During her reign, Anna Leigh signed a truce with Marie Laveau. When Fiona was questioned by the council about Anna Leigh's disappearance, Fiona lied and told the council that the last time she saw Anna Leigh, the Supreme was carrying a fine bottle of wine, taking it as a gesture of good-will to an unknown person. The council members thought then that Marie Laveau had killed the Supreme and Fiona was selected as Anna Leigh's successor, following the deceased Supreme's will.
Personality and appearance
Anna Leigh Leighton was sweet, proper, refined, and classically old-fashioned, and had a majestic air to her presence and speech. Despite this, she was shown to have quite a temper when provoked. She was a powerful witch, and was quite a decent Supreme during her time, considering she signed a truce with Marie Laveau and subsequently brought peace (despite still harboring hostilities) between the two groups for several decades.
Anna Leigh was a blonde, buxom sexagenarian. Though plagued with several health problems in her later years, she was still quite beautiful. She dressed in old-fashioned, regal attire and styled her blonde hair in an Edwardian-style bun. She was also quite tall standing at 5'10.
Anna Leigh is natural born witch who is shown to have mastered all of the Seven Wonders
- Telekinesis - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to move things with only the power of the mind.
- Concilium - One of the Seven Wonders, more commonly known as Mind Control, the magical ability to bend the will of another individual and force them to do whatever the user desires.
- Transmutation - One of the Seven Wonders, also known as Teleportation, the ability to move from one place to another without physically occupying the space in between.
- Descensum - One of the Seven Wonders, also known as Astral Projection, the magical ability to descend the astral body into your own personal Hell.
- Vitalum Vitalis - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to balance the scale between life and death.
- Divination - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to gain knowledge through indirect means.
- Pyrokinesis - One of the Seven Wonders, the magical ability to create and control fire with the power of the mind.
- Anna Leigh: "Fiona! I thought you had gone with the other girls down to Jackson Square to burn your bra."
- Anna Leigh: "I was just 29 years old when the reigning Supreme at the time, Mimi DeLongpre, called a Council and I performed the Seven Wonders and was unanimously proclaimed to be the true born heir of the Supremacy."
- Anna Leigh: "By the time I was your age, I had already been manifesting multiple powers. It's not unusual for a talented witch to manifest four, even five innate gifts once she starts to flower. But that does not make you the Supreme. Only the mastery of the Seven Wonders could prove that."
- Anna Leigh (to Fiona): "You vicious little gash! I've seen the ruin you will bring to this coven."
- Despite having killed Anna Leigh, Fiona proclaimed admiration for her. She described her as majestic and powerful, and credited Anna for teaching her everything she knows.